Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Safety Night


Tonight is Safety Night at my next Seattle Aquarium orientation.  For those of you who don’t know, I am now an official Seattle Aquarium volunteer.  I have always had a love for marine life and the ocean in general.  So, when I moved out to Seattle from Arizona, volunteering at the aquarium made so much sense. 


What sorts of things will be discussed tonight? 

How to keep a fish in water?

What to do if an octopus escapes?

How to properly display a “Caution Wet Floor/Cuidado Piso Mojado” sign?

The most effective way to retrieve a child who has fallen into the tide pool exhibit?

Honestly, who knows…but I’ll be sure and update you if we do indeed discuss any of the above items. :)

What it did get me thinking about is something we can all do to be prepared in case we find ourselves in an unexpected situation.   
With February also being  “Heart Month,” I thought I would share this invaluable video that everyone should watch and learn from, and later hear how this video helped me in a real life situation last year.
This new and effective method was created by incredible physicians an my Alma Mater, the University of Arizona.  It is easy, memorable, and almost anyone can perform it.
Last spring I was coming home from lunch with two good friends when we happened to witness a terrible motorcyle crash in front of us.  I had just seen this video at a school nurses meeting and ran to the unconscious victim and snapped into Continuous Compression only CPR.  Unfortunately, the victim did not survive.  I had not previously had an opportunity to perform CPR (thank God), but I had always wondered if I would be able to snap into action.  Continuous compression CPR allows you to do so much without having to remember...do I give a breath now? do I check a pulse now?  The method is simple and I did snap into action very fast...and you will too!
If there are people in your life that you love, watch this video.  You can't control the outcome, but something is better than nothing.
Here's my interview with Fox news...
Have a safe day!

No comments:

Post a Comment