Tuesday, February 7, 2012

First Day...Smile

First Day...Smile!
Hello out there! It’s Marissa
image
…and I am entering the land of blogging. I have been against this idea for a while because I didn’t think I would be committed to something like this or have much to contribute, but just like how somedays I just gotta dance…somedays I just gotta write. So welcome to La Vida Luna…where you will be immersed in the life of M. Luna.

Today I am kicking this blogging business off by discussing my dental health! (Obviously, these posts may get a bit gritty…not for the faint of heart) Check it! No cavities yotches! I just went to the dentist two days ago and was ready to hear D.O. #14 (which translates to cavity in my world, but may just mean tooth…who knows?), but lo and behold Dr. White said “Your xray’s look good.” I looked at her and said “Thank God! That’s a miracle!” If you are like me, you expect to have a cavity discovered at every dental visit. Partly my fault…like 25% me and maybe 75% genetics perhaps? These hypothesized numbers help me to better cope every 6 months.
I’m gonna be totally honest with you right now and tell you I never went to the dentist when I was in college…and I don’t remember flossing at all unless some crazy piece of protein was interfering with my concentration. AND!…I was in college for 6 years. I alway feel like I need to sheild myself like this…


when I admit this fact.

Anyways, after graduating I finally went to the dentist. I went to three different dentists who wanted to charge me ridiculous amounts of money to fix my teeth. It wasn’t until I moved to NYC that I decided to actually get my teeth in order. The dentist was nice and so were her staff, but if I can give one piece of advice it would be this…DO NOT WAIT TO GET YOUR DENTAL WORK DONE IN NYC. THEY WILL CONVINCE YOU TO GET THIS DENTAL CREDIT CARD AND CHARGE YOU THREE TIMES THE AMOUNT YOU WOULD HAVE BEEN CHARGED IN TUCSON. It would have been nice if someone would have shared that with me pre NYC move.

I have had so much dental work. I know, gross! Going to the dentist is like taking a walk in the park for me. I have even fallen asleep through a procedure performed by Dr. Bhatt at Serenity Dental of Gilbert (who I highly recommend to those living in the greater Phoenix area).










So here are a few dental tips that will help you avoid making extra dentist visits and staring at potentially images like this…
or this…

Okay…what the heck is this???

Did this dental poster artist just finish watching “Who Framed Roger Rabbit?” and “Little Shop of Horrors?” (Both good movies, FYI).


Here are a few tips I have acquired throughout my dental journey that you may find helpful.

1) Use a soft toothbrush and brush along the gumline at least twice daily.
There’s no need to brush your teeth every day like you do right before you go to the dentist. Although brushing for 5min. is recommended. I like to use a brush like this…

because it has bue indicator bristles that remind me when I need to replace it.

2) Floss at least nightly and as needed.

I like Glide the best because it gently gets in those hard to reach places without hurting. My recent hygienist recommended GUM floss,

but I had already invested in a Costco sized package of Glide. I wasn’t gonna go buy more…Shoooot!

3) Use a flouride rinse daily.

I am really bad at this, but when I do remember, I use ACT flouride rinse. ACT has been highly recommened to me by several dental professionals, but the selling point for me is its self-measuring feature at the top of the bottle. With just a squeeze of the bottle, you get just the right amount.

February does happen to be Dental Health month…so give yourself a dental makeover…because let’s face it…if you are reading this, you are important to me and I don’t want anyone saying you have bad breath and look like this…


Adios!

1 comment:

  1. People really underestimate the power of flossing, even though most dentists will suggest it after every visit

    ReplyDelete