Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Cupcakes!

I am the baker in the family and I often find myself being comissioned to make a cake or some sort of dessert for birthdays and special gatherings.  One summer while in college, I decided to do something fun for myself by taking a cake decorating class.  I had so much fun and my family and friends got A LOT of cake for a few years.  Here is a picture of some cupcakes I made for my niece's birthday.


Cupcakes are one of my favorite desserts.  They are cute and can be dressed up simply or extravagantly.  I tend to go for the former and stick to great taste and time efficiency.
I stumbled upon this recipe and thought I would give it a go.  I have never made cake
from scratch, and thought the recipe looked pretty easy to try...hence the title.

Easy Chocolate Cupcakes with Sweet Raspberry Buttercream Frosting
Ingredients for the cupcakes



  • 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 3 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup milk


  • Ingredients for the frosting:



  • 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened
  • 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
  • 4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (about 1 lb.)
  • 1/3 cup seedless raspberry preserves
  • Pink food coloring or gel icing (optional)
  • 1 pint fresh raspberries (optional

  • Instructions:

    For the cupcakes:
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with paper or foil liners. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa and salt. Set aside.

    2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well with each addition, then stir in the vanilla. Add the flour mixture alternately with the milk; beat well. Fill the muffin cups 3/4 full.

    3. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.

    For the icing:
    1. In large bowl, beat shortening and butter with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add vanilla; mix well. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add raspberry preserves and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.
    Cake

    Frosting

    Making these cupcakes was so easy and fun.  I love the cute raspberries on top...very festive for Valentines day.  I will add that the cake is not as sweet as a boxed cake mix, but my roomates and co-workers loved them.  Spice up your baking routine and try something new!

    Happy Baking!

    2 comments: