Wednesday, March 28, 2012

It Don't Mean a Thing if It Ain't Got that Swing!

Welcome back hepcats!



Did you all see that awesome dancing clip from the movie Swing Kids in my previous post???
If not, here is another scene definitely worth taking a gander.





This movie is so great.  I remember going to see this movie with my Mom at the United Artist theater on Val Vista Rd when the movies only costed $3.50.  I don't think either of us really knew what this movie was about, but I was totally mind blown.  I remember thinking "What the hell is this dancing?  I've gotta learn this some day."  (Well, I'm sure I did not say "hell," but the older me would have said it.) And here I am...I'm doing it...I am now a swing dancer.  I kid you not! I have learned a number of the moves shown in these videos.  I'm not learning the aerials, but I am learning the rest.

With mastering a skill comes practice and tools.  I practice by going to as many swing dances in town throughout the week.  I'm not so shy about asking guys to dance either.  I usually don't know them and they don't know me, but I came to dance darn it! and if I have to ask someone, I will.  I recently found out by a short personal survey that guys tend to feel flattered if they are asked to dance by a girl.  So don't be shy ladies ask away.  And ladies, don't huddle together if you want to be asked to dance, most guys find this intimidating.  (All info. gathered by my short personal survey)

So here are some tools to help enhance your dancing.
1) Get some good dance shoes with a suede sole.  The right dance shoe will give you grip, but also the ability to glide and spin with ease.  Here are some great shoes from Dancestore.
There are so many cute styles out there, but these are pretty awesome.

These are also pretty cute and have a bit of color.

2) Wear comfortable clothing you can move in and dress it up a bit if you like.  I usually wear dresses or jeans and a cute top, but there are some cute styles for dancing the night away at Modcloth.
Here are some awesome dresses worn/inspired by Betty Draper from Mad Men that are totally swing worthy.




3) Read up on some dancing etiquette before you hit the dance floor.  You can go to Savoy Swing for some great tips on dancing etiquette.  Basically don't wear heavy cologne or perfume, don't have bad breath, bring two shirts if you are a heavy sweater, and don't be a creeper.

So get out there and try something new.  Your workout routine is boring you say? Try dancing.  You think you have two left feet?  Take a swing dance class.  You want to meet new people? Get out on the dance floor!

 Dancing has definitely added so much flavor to my life.  It really is the best/funnest way to work out.  I hope you'll give it a try and add some spice to your life!

See you on the dance floor.






1 comment: